Thursday, November 13, 2008

Last day

My final year students had their going away party last night in the cafe at the basement of the optometry school. A simple buffet and small speech from the head of department was the extent of the festivities. (Their formal graduation ceremony is not actually until May 2009.) We all walked over to a nearby bar afterward for a few more hours the Mustang Saloon (the same bar where I watched the televised Obama debates and election results).

It's funny to be at the end of things. I'm not graduating, but Ursula and I are both finished today along with all the students. I feel like I should have a deep realisation coming, or a firework finish to mark the end of things. But it's simply the end and the beginning for all of us, really.

This class taught me so much- mostly about life. I learned about teaching and optometry too. But more about people- the struggles that students go through to finish their degree - how caring most are underneath it all (despite my previous post).

Everyone's dispersing now. Many I won't ever see again, but I don't dwell on that. I always think you really never know. Goodbyes aren't meant to be sad.

No comments: