Monday, March 15, 2010

The essence of running and of life 村上春樹

"People sometimes sneer at those who run every day, claiming they'll go to any length to live longer. But I don't think that's the reason most people run. Most runners run not because they want to live longer, but because they want to live life to the fullest. Exerting yourself to the fullest within your individual limits: that's the essence of running, and a metaphor for life- and for me, for writing as well." -- Haruki Murakami, from "What I talk about when I talk about running"


I've been in a mental eddy lately. The main thing that keeps me going is exercising. Of course I want to be in better shape, but Haruki has written the essence of my fitness aspirations, as well as the essence of my entire way of life. It explains:
Why I'm living in Germany (and NZ and Portland...), why I've tried so many different relationships, why I travel anywhere once, why I read as if my life depended on it (on any topic, though give up if a book bores me), why I try to spread my energy around, why I'm open to new experiences and ideas (even those things I thought I'd never do), why I try to see the positive in everything (even robbings) and move on, why I did my doctorate (you just keep going to school and they keep giving you degrees), why I wouldn't sleep if I didn't have to, why I live like I do... all to live in the fullest way possible.
I've dug out my old SLR camera and decided that it's going to be my camera now. Strangely, there were photos I took the day I finished the Auckland marathon on the SD card, as well as some of my old journal, my friend Ursula on her birthday and my feet. Random shots. It reminded me of how I like the art of photography for more than just documenting trips.

My brain is swirling with ideas, day and night. Each morning I wake up wondering where I went the night before. I guess I will try to enjoy this odd time in my life. Soon my sister will be here and we will be caught up in the Sara and Carrie show, which is always a good time.


Watching a wacked film (though filmed in Portland, so was heartwarming):
"What the bleep do we know?"

No comments: