Monday, December 15, 2008

Travelling south

I got a wild hair up my ass and decided that I should bus it down to Malaysia after the Full Moon party. After 1 hour 40 minutes of sleep, I got up and caught a taxi to the ferry back to mainland Thailand, after which I boarded a songtheaw (taxi-like thing) and then a couple minibuses before arriving at the Malaysia border. I lost track of how many hours it was- a lot!

The major glitch in the plan was some sort of stomach issue that morning. With a squat toilet combined with a ferry boat cleanliness, I was well in the throes of montezuma's revenge and other things. Ok, too much information. But I managed to get to Malaysia after about 20 hours of nausea, etc.

The guidebooks had warnings about crossing at any other point other than Satun and this little island off the coast of Thailand, but I crossed at the regular road crossing, after inquiring locally about safety. I was in the company of five other foreigners who were traveling together and working in KL, Malaysia. They were from Poland, Estonia, Columbia and I can't remember where else... It was no problem crossing the border and arriving into Georgetown, Malaysia.

More tomorrow... (with pics.)

No comments: