Monday, June 13, 2011

Mostar, Bosnia

In 1993 during the Bosnian war, this town's 1557 bridge was blown up, but later rebuilt. A small photo exhibit showed footage of it being blown up. It's heartbreaking because I know where I was sitting when these things were happening and I remember the news stories.

There are still quite a lot of damaged buildings throughout the city, but they are beautiful in their own way. I always have a soft spot for damaged buildings, but I am in my own process of deconstruction and rebuilding, so I think my affinity is even higher for places which feel the same. Not that I wish to create beauty through war damage, but there is beauty in everything.




I asked this couple with a hand gesture if it was ok to take their picture, and they said ok.
There's also still quite a lot of buildings bricked up like this.

Most of the stones were 1993 or 1994.

Leaving Mostar. The train station.
Sisters from Hong Kong who I met while in Dubrovnik. They were were also on their way to Sarajevo. The older sister was studying economics in Vienna.
From the train window I.
From the train window II.
From the train window III.
Shoes.
I noticed I had sat in this seat number.
And tomorrow I should be sitting in this seat number.

Arrival in Sarajevo's train station.

No comments: