Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mulholland Drive... strange as.

As the week progresses and my exam count mounts, I've become a nighttime couch-holder-downer. Tonight, I'd rented, okay, checked out from the library, Mulholland Drive, a David Lynch film from 2001.

I've never watched a David Lynch film. Heard about him but had no preconceived notions of what to expect.

All I can say is, it was an odd film. Odd, in a very strangely intriguing way. The sequences were shot in odd orders, like dreams, or life, and it's hard to know what really happened or what the point was, but, it made me think...

Especially since this morning I woke up wondering where I was, almost wondering who I was, laying on my cushy grey sheets, mouthguard in place, checking my watch to see the time. It was morning, before the alarm. I was still in Germany, and I knew I had loads of patients to go.

The days have stretched and my total exam record has been broken as each day begins anew. Today, with 50 exams, I was strangely calm, catching things like pigment dispersion, possible Horner's and an old paintball injury. Okay, so that last one wasn't really a catch.

Each day, there's been about 3-4 patients who really needed the full eye exam. I could just be doing glasses refractions- that's all they said I need to do. But I went to school to be an eye doctor, not a refractionist, so I'm still doing the full exam, even if it means losing lunch, staying late, not being able to feel my head at the end of the day and wondering who I am when I wake up.

I'm doing my best- it's the only thing I really can do. But I have a feeling after two and half weeks of this, the calm of a regular schedule and normal life will be strange as...

No comments: