Tuesday, February 16, 2010

On meeting others and companionship

"We never look beyond our assumptions and, what's even worse, we have given up trying to meet others; we just meet ourselves. We don't recognise each other because other people have become our permanent mirrors. If we actively realised this, if we were to become aware of the fact that we are only ever looking at ourselves in the other person, that we are alone in the wilderness, we would go crazy. ...As for me, I implore fate to give me the chance to see beyond myself and truly meet someone."

"The peace of mind one experiences on one's own, one's certainity of self in the serenity of solitude, are nothing in comparison to the release and openness and fluency one shares with another in close companionship."

Highly recommend the book from which these quotes come: The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. Though it is not a light read. I have gotten shit for my tendency to think and question everything in life too much. But I like it that way. It is me.

2 comments:

Mrs. Kim said...

That's the book for our neighborhood book club! At first I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it but I ended up really liking it.

Anonymous said...

I know, a very good friend gave it to me... I was skeptical too, but also didn't read the book cover, just read the book. I think that makes me like books better bc then I have no expectations... I could probably carry that over to most things in life if I were wise.