Saturday, February 6, 2010

Life Logic

Reading Esquire (yes, I know it's a men's magazine) brought a few new quotes to my journal. Still recovering from the flu, I spent the day catching up on the phone and reading, only leaving the house for some Pepto, at my mom's insistence.


"Everyone has a choice of whether or not to stay young at heart or to let time erode you away like a piece of stone in the wind." -Peter Jackson

"No day-to-day mishaps or indignities can really compromise your sense of self after you've survived a deep tragedy." -Kelsey Grammer

"There is no contradiction between a soft heart and a hard head." -Robert McNamara


All three of these quotes are speaking to me now, as I'm finishing up my thirty-third year, entering my fourth month in Germany, transitioning to a quieter, more predictable life, discovering the underbelly of the Army, questioning again what is important.

My life seems to make sense when I look back at it. Even being here in Germany is logical. I have long been a learner, an explorer, even before I was a traveler. Moving is something I do. I derive pleasure reaching out to other beings, no matter how short the interaction. My relationships with men have been varied; none are a repeat of the last as I try them out, chance I should meet one that sticks. My friends are a cross-section of society, all ranks, colors, places, ages, political leanings. Living fully and openly, true to myself as I was in the beginning, tiny up to now, without regrets. Knowing that in the end, I have given it my all. Grasping opportunities.

Learning is my nature. Peace is my way. Living is my life.

I am grateful for this.

1 comment:

Dee J. said...

Love it - Even though I never had a sister I have many "sistahs" as my friend calls us - there when you need them. I think nieces can even be sisters!!! Brothers too for that matter.
See you in a few weeks.
love, auntie DJ