Monday, January 28, 2008

Sailing the Bay of Islands (north New Zealand)

The view from the little bush walk we did after we sailed into this harbor. It had 2 lagoons, but was called "Three lagoon harbor". There's some difficulty with counting here, as 90 mile beach is really only 55 miles.

Here's the sailboat. I laid out front on for a while, and felt like I'd died and gone to heaven. Perhaps I can get a gig on a boat and drift along for a while. Sounds dreamy.

Captain Mike, from Vancouver BC. He's been in NZ for 15 years, took 8 years to sail over with his wife and 2 children. Lovely man.

I hiked up to a lookout and this was one the way- pretty cool when the tide is out- it looked like it was from another planet. The smiling pic on the next post is when I was at the top. This was just adjacent to our campground.

3 comments:

Josh and Molly said...

Can we go here when we come?

Sara said...

Yep, actually it would be a great place still in the winter b/c it's warmer up North. This guy only works 7 mos out of the year, so I don't know if you can go sailing, but we can to to the bay of islands. I'm gonna try to get a car at some point I think. They're pretty cheap here.

Ross said...

Looks beautiful there. Can't wait to visit. What's the coldest it gets there? I'm really suffering with the cold here.