Monday, May 11, 2009

U-turn!

[Enroute to Auckland after a quick turn-around in the bay of islands.]

It was just too crummy of weather for rest and relaxation. Besides that, I know that I'll be an Auntie for the first time in not too many days. The time is right to go home. Thank goodness that Air Pacific lets you book flights at the last minute for cheap.

We’re pulling back into Auckland… probably the last time I will see the skyline from this side of town. Soon we’ll be crossing over the harbour bridge. It’s a beautiful city. The things I’ve learned this year! If I had to make a list it could stretch forever.

Mostly I’ve learned to be more open-minded, more patient, more trusting. People everywhere have surprised me with their kindness and love. I’ve done things I wouldn’t have thought I'd do. I’ve realized how useless passing judgment on others is. (Not that it’s easy to understand other people all the time, but at least give them the benefit of the doubt. )

Boats in the harbour. The sky tower popping up behind them. Fluffy clouds with a deep purple base. Sky the color of my bedroom in Portland. Ships and more ships. I’ve never seen so many in my life. We’re sailing into town on the Intercity bus- something that’s marked my days and travels in NZ. I still love the peace and the whirr of the bus shifting gears, humming along. Passengers shuffle belongings but it’s still serene in here. And as I stare out the window, it’s the closest thing to church and meditation as I'll get here in Auckland.

Two more days and I will fly off, forever perhaps, or not. Life doesn’t tell you the story line ahead of time. You just have to follow it as it goes along and see where you end up.

No comments: