Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Returning home

Yesterday was day three in Portland. I've done a hideous job avoiding jet lag. After dropping my sister off at work at 7AM, I fell back asleep and was horrified to see that it was 12:58 when I woke up. At least Carrie's dog, Oatie (chihuahua), was in bed with me the whole time, so I was not the sole lazy loser in the house.

I rolled out of bed and puttered around the house, trying to figure out what I could clean without making important things disappear. After my housework, I wandered over to my favorite coffee shop, Stumptown on Belmont. I started to put Oatie in his little kennel, but he gave me a sad look, so I asked if he wanted to go with- he ran straight for the door and stood like a statue as I secured his collar. We piled in the car and headed for coffee. I sat in the window of Stumptown reading the New York Times while Oatie slept on my lap. That's the nice thing here. You can bring your [sister's] dog with you everywhere. As I looked out the window at the street scene, I realised how everything is the same. I even saw the guy who owns Hoda's across the street. Everyone is still doing what they were doing when I left. Only I am different.

I've gone through a whirlwind of emotions. My first instinct was to leave again right away. Then I thought I should move back. Then I thought, You have no idea what you are doing. Just be.

Today, I have painted my sister's stairs and organised the recycling. I picked up a friend from the airport. I would work on the yard but couldn't find any tools.

Carrie's house is sunny and welcoming and it's wonderful to be with my sister again. But I feel this is a momentary reprieve from traveling and I'll most likely take the full one year sabbatical as I'd originally planned. I have a mind to work on the Pacific Crest Trail until the end of August.

2 comments:

auntie dj said...

Sounds like my day! sorting recycling, looking for garden tools, drinking coffee! I checked out Pacific West Trail thing and it looks like a noble thing to do - seems like a pretty long trail to me.
Jet lag: Remember that it IS 1 day recovery for every hour of time change - I think you will need about 18 days!
Hugs to you from Auntie DJ and Uncle Rossie!

Sara said...

Ha ha. Thanks for the reminder about the jet lag. I'm about to bust out the ibuprofen again. Jeez. I have to try to do it all this year while I am free to do it! :) Well I just have to do what I want to do. That's not too hard. I'm happy right now. That's all that matters.