Thursday, July 10, 2008

A week of entertainment

Monday:
*Drove to work after bus escapade of last week. This was the second time I drove in 6 months. The first was the day Molly and Josh arrived.
*Ate Mexican food for the first time in NZ. Brea, a Colorado girl who I met in a coffee shop, who was friends with Julie, a Canadian I met randomly, was turning 25 and made everyone enchiladas. Interestingly, Brea's dad and uncle graduated from BRHS in '65 and '67, where my mom graduated in '66. Very small world indeed.

Tuesday:
*Usually keen student (Alphy) shows up in my doorway at 12:15pm stating that she has a "problem." I get up to assist and discover that a chart has somehow gotten into the door frame. Inside the pocket door. I didn't fall down with laughter, but was close. At this juncture, the chart remains entombed in the door.

Wednesday:
*Decided to solo attend live music and poetry on Queen Street in Auckland where I'd taken Molly and Josh. Sat down. After a few songs, was poked in the back. I turned around to see Nadine, the poet mother of three who I'd met at the bookstore event with CK Stead months ago.

Thursday:
*Went to "Women in Science"event with Ursula (speaker: scientist Jilly Evans from San Diego) and discovered I've made ALL the mistakes she advised women not to make in their careers. Befriended the Dean of Science and discovered that other depts have morning and afternoon tea every day. Mild jealousy ensued.
*Attended premiere of Auckland film, "Apron Strings" with fellow tutors. Film introduction was 45 minutes, by various folks including the prime minister, Helen Clark. Following the screening, the entire cast bowed on stage.

Friday:
*That would be today. Going out dancing on K Rd. With Ursula. Goal is to return to my house by dawn! :) TGIF.

Cheers!

No comments: