Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mid Winter Reflections

There is someone who looks after us
From behind the curtain.
In truth, we are not here.
This is our shadow.
-Rumi


Reflection Assignment: The most glorious moments in your life:

When I rode my magenta bike on two wheels for the first time down the gravel hill next to our house in Alexandria after my dad took the training wheels off. I think I was five. I felt like I was flying.

During sprint races in sixth grade when I discovered that I could run faster than some of fairly athletic the boys in my class. Most were not too keen to be beaten by a girl. I was shocked myself. Always do your best, you never know what you might accomplish!

Flying by myself to meet my cousin Jenny and my aunt Deverle in England after my first year at UND. I was blown away by the different cultures, castles, and languages! It was the true beginning of my travel addiction.

Finding out in my senior year that I’d managed graduate first in my high school class even though I hadn’t been planning anything like that. I’d just been doing what I knew I could do and that’s where I ended up.

When my physics professor at UND asked me if I could help him fix his computer during my last year. He was the same person who doubted my abilities to get an A in physics and to take several science classes concurrently. I’ve always had a thing for doing what people thought I could not do.

Our winter as intermediate ski-bunnies on the slopes of Mount Hood Meadows, where Shanta and I even got so daring as to take (albeit small) ski jumps! Massive laugh and swear attacks ensued when a landing was less than graceful. Kept the abs in shape.

Having a colleague who I greatly respected at Kaiser tell me that I was “darn good” and to trust my diagnoses because I was always on (not that that’s entirely true). She was someone who I’d always admired and greatly respected. I never expected to hear that. I was just doing my best at my job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Bean
Just to let you know that year was also my entry into travel addiction and I was 30 years older than you - now wishing I would have begun 30 years earlier! As Rick Steves ends every show: "Keep on travelling"
Bon Voyage and Amore,
Auntie Verdle aka DeVerle

Anonymous said...

One of my glorious moments was the day that we moved out of that house in Forest Grove and into Hidden Pines. :)
Love, Lulu

Sara said...

Oh that was a glorious moment, Lulu! :)