Saturday, July 19, 2008

Channeling the peregrine


I'd like to be a witty, wacky journalist here. And I am, in my head. But the words that show up on the page are rather serious. Is it that I've been trained to be like that? All those years of being the orthopedic, oldest child are hard to shake off. Reconciling myself as seen by others (predictable planner) with my own inner image (free-floating fairy) is a feat of no small effort.

So I'm wondering, does everyone go through this? Is it something I should've done ten years ago? Am I a late bloomer?

Today I came across a coin-phrase depicting a new trend, "Flashpackers:" 30-something backpackers with more money to spend than traditional backpackers. So apparently my travel disease is nothing unique. Perhaps it's the idealism of a generation of children raised by the babyboomers, who've suddenly realised that money and status may not be the gateway to happiness and life meaning.

Or maybe we're all just a bunch of lost souls with loose feet and loose minds. Wandering about, delivering cash to nations who need it more than our own.

Who else would like to take up the golden bicycle and raid the world's streets, searching for creative social encounters and life enhancement? Any takers? Next year, I'll meetcha anywhere!
Any tips, any crazy ideas that you'd like someone else to carry out before you try it yourself? Submit it here and I may just take you up on it! I'm serious, now.

No comments: