Thursday, July 3, 2008

Saving time

Last night after work, I decided I'd save some time getting home by paying $4.80 and taking the public bus, which would drop me off just a few blocks from my house, rather than taking the free staff shuttle to the Auckland city campus and then walking thirty minutes home from there.

One of my students pointed out the bus stop earlier, so I booked it over there after work and patiently waited with Mr. D.H. Lawrence. The patience wore out sometime after 45 minutes.

Finally the 655 bus pulled up, though it was hard to tell if it really was the 655- all the lights were wacked up on the front. I got on and asked the driver, "Does this go to Parnell?"

"No." He says.

"But I've been waiting for an hour and 20 minutes!" Desperation was setting in. Am I ever going to get home? I'd already be home if I had taken the staff shuttle but now I've missed the last one. Regrets, regrets. Not helping.

He's pulled out a small laminated white paper and donned glasses. "Yeah, I do go to Parnell!"

Oh God. Isn't their job to know their route? This does not inspire confidence.

He offers, "I was late because I got out of school late." Or something.

I soften. Maybe he's trying to further himself. That's nice.

The bus moves forward. Very slowly. I wonder if he always drives this slow. Maybe that's why the bus is so late.

We appear to be pulling into a driveway. Is this a home stop?

No, a u-turn.

Ok, we're backtracking. This is a first. A lost, late busdriver doing u-turns.

Moving again, through the residential areas. I'm the only rider. Perhaps this is a special route.

I don't see any bus stops on the side of the road.

Seem to be sitting a long time at this stop sign.

Driver mumbles something with, "Lost" in it. White laminated sheet is out again. (It's not really a map, just a diagram/schematic thing.)

I don't want to know!

I start to text people, in case I never turn up again after this time-saving bus ride.

Finally out of residential! Hope returns. I may get home just yet.

Only two hours later, I get off at my stop.

Gotta love Auckland public transport...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is possibly your most hilarious entry - I'm still laughing. Reminds me of some of our travel escapades! You are a good sport and I'm glad you are alive. love and kisses, auntie verdle

geekdave said...

And I thought the PDX MAX was bad when they either run 5 mins late or depart my stop 1 min earlier than scheduled as I run after it from work.