Monday, June 9, 2008

Our mixed race presidential candidate

In the paper this morning, I came across an interesting commentary about Obama and his "blackness." In the Herald, it was titled, "Democrat winner is actually not black, he's just not white." Written by a UK journalist, Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, it has some important thoughts on race.

We base a lot of importance on external appearance. I guess it's the easiest and quickest way to judge people. It's so unfortunate though. Not that I have not fallen into that category. Whether it's race, weight, attractiveness, style, confidence, it's something that can be seen in a few seconds from the outside.

If I've learned anything here, it's that we are all the same. My students have similar backgrounds, similar pains, similar stories. Underneath it all, we are all human. Why not judge people for what really matters: kindness, honesty, integrity?

If nothing else, those little mixed race children are usually the most attractive ones in the room. Let's celebrate diversity. I'm proud to support our first mixed-race candidate for president.

No comments: