Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'm sitting here freezing in my office. (Do they have the a/c on or do I have circulation problems?) I've started a new assignment given by one of my friends (Fiona from Edmonton) to take a picture every day. I figured I might not do it if I wasn't being held accountable in some way, so I've started a very straight forward photo blog. Yes, a second blog. It matters in no way if anyone sees it, rather it forces me to remember to take a picture. Day 5 and I am liking it. What I See

Last night I went to an animal rights movie. I have an aversion to those things, but I thought I would check it out. I can't see how I'd be able to turn back from veganism. I started out vegetarian because I thought that it was healthier and I really didn't like meat anyway. The more I read about it, the more it seems a good choice. The more I know animals, the less I want to eat them. I really want to be their friends. I think about the horses who were posing for me in the south island when I was talking to them and the cute lambs and then sweet Oatie and Blackie. I can't eat them. It's not even a question anymore.

Oh God, am I becoming a bigger hippie, earth-lover by living over here? It seems so. I thought so last weekend when I was in the south island. How much I love the trees. The water. Being in nature. Simplicity.

I've now passed the halfway mark for New Zealand, which something to contemplate as well. I can't say that I don't like it here. I'm finally starting to understand the country and the people. They are more reserved initially, but quite authentic actually- which can come across negatively, but when I step back, they're quite nice all around.

I also realised that I don't feel any rush to return to the USA. I don't even know what will happen when this is all done. I'm such a planner in life that I feel like I should know what's around the next bend, so I can start making lists and checking them off. But there's a freedom in just jumping in and seeing where you land. I guess that's what I'm doing.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I've been doing a 365 photo blog since January. It is challenging but really quite fun. I love seeing your photos and hearing about your adventures there.