Friday, June 27, 2008

Couch Contemplations

We drove to the airport in sheets of rain, Molly, Josh and I. They disappeared through security. I walked back to the carpark and navigated the roads back to my attic hideaway. I didn’t know how I’d feel once I got home.

Today we’d ventured around Auckland in the Mazda, trying to miss the intermittent downpours. (We were mostly successful.) We’d gotten up early to see Sam at Kokako Coffee shop, and then dropped in on the Aotearoa Square market in downtown Auckland, something akin to Portland Saturday Market only on a much smaller scale. I bought a handmade green dress or long shirt, depending how adventurous I’m feeling on a particular day. Molly found an aqua blue shiny skirt. We both came home with bubbly glass pendants purchased from the husband of the artist, mine in nutmeg and Molly’s in slate blue.

Josh wanted to see the boats in the harbour, so we drove there and then stopped over in Devonport, where we visited a few art galleries and had lunch at the Brick Oven Bakery. Lastly, up to Mt Eden, the volcano with the best city views, then back home to rest before they flew out.

Our final dinner was at Thai Friends on Parnell Road. Molly and Josh had happened upon it on their own for lunch while I was in clinic, and it’s probably my favorite place in Auckland to eat. Funny how the stars send you places. I understand why they keep winning Thai Restaurant of the year in Auckland. After dinner, we headed to the airport.

This brings me full circle. I’m sitting here on my couch in silence, other than the whirling wind outside, rain hitting the pavement and an occasional car. I’m not lonely. I’m not sad.

Today in the art gallery, we were talking to one of the artists working there and she asked if having them visit made me want to go home. I said, “No.” I think she said something like, “Oh that’s real nice!” Laughing. But I explained, “I’m happy here. I’m happy where I’m at.” I am. I like Auckland. I like being here. I like being. I like my life.

It’s been an interesting seven months. Going to the airport surfaced some thoughts about the next adventure. And I really don’t know. Five months is not all that far away to start planning. I feel a little like I want to fly by the seat of my pants. I guess that’s what I’m doing anyway.

I didn’t know what to expect from this year. Living abroad has made me feel it’s less urgent to get home and resume my life there. I feel like I’m coming into so much awareness of the world in all ways. If I returned now, I’d be giving up a lot of opportunities.

No comments: