Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Queenstown Area- South Island

















I just returned from south island. It was the Queen's Birthday Holiday, so I suitably headed to Queenstown. I found it surprising to have warmer weather when I landed. I forgot that north is warmer here-everything’s backwards! My mind has to work extra hard.

Last Friday, I was greeted at the Queenstown airport with mountains in the backdrop and crisp smog-free air. It felt like home. I still love that cool fall air. After about five minutes spent picking up my beater Toyota Corolla rental, I rang up and arranged a kayak trip in Milford Sound for the following morning. Then wandered through Queenstown a bit, which is sort of reminiscent of Banff or Whistler or I suppose Aspen and Vail (though I’ve not been to the Colorado resorts). Then headed south to Te Anau.

I checked into Rosie’s backpackers, which was a homestay. Interesting to stay in someone’s home while they did their laundry (which by the way, was hanging from a chandelier-type contraption that could be raised and lowered from the ceiling- pretty handy).

The next morning, I was off in a van with 8 other folks (6 Canadians, 1 Irish and our guide, Aiden) to Milford Sound. The weather was mystical- low spotty clouds. We arrived at the kayak tent and were outfitted in warm clothes, then set off for a 4-5 hour excursion. I shared a kayak with Andy, the Irish kid. Milford exceeded my expectations and was lovely to experience from the level of the kayak. At the end, Aiden showed us where the guides live. It was 4 old campertrailers all stuck together- you wouldn’t believe how many people they had stuffed into those--- makes the camper trailer park in Vancouver look luxurious.

The next few days, I wandered along the west coast of the south island, taking in two glaciers, a swamp, a massive dinosaur tree, a failed fishing village, an old Chinese gold-panning settlement and drove through Paradise (though I didn’t know it was paradise, because there was no sign!)

It was a beautiful weekend. Reminded me of the woods of Minnesota and the forests of Oregon. I think subconsciously I was busy with that thought, as I dreamt of old friends, cousins, and even that I met little Joey Thor- I was holding him in my dream until he cried, when I handed him over to Ray. Just like real life.

1 comment:

Josh and Molly said...

Your photos are amazing. You should sell them! (Or print them as gifts;) See you in a couple days!! Yippee!