Friday, March 13, 2015

The Kolache Pregnancy

The night before our first ultrasound I got the urge to make Kolaches. A czech sweet bun with a prune filling. When we were kids, my grandma Agnes would make them for us at Christmas or for the holidays. The sweet bread mixed with fruit wafting from a hot bun. A touch of butter on the top. I pulled up my recipe and dug out the old Osterizer that my mom had found for us from a Goodwill years ago. I thought I didn't need it. I thought liked doing everything by hand. But I was wrong. The old Osterizer is beloved.

I'd thought kolaches would be a perfect pregnancy food because they had prunes and wheat buns. My mom said prunes daily would be a good thing.

The Osterizer on the counter, and the few ingredients ready, I went to work. Substituting whole wheat flour for white. Oh I didn't have real sugar. But coconut sugar would do. No milk but we had oat milk. So many substitutions I wondered if I had veered too far off track. Would all whole wheat flour rise? Would they taste weird?

Turns out they were perfect. I'd channeled Grandma Agnes' baking genes and made perfect hippie Kolaches. I look now at the picture and think, there were three of us there. Who would have thought?

The kolaches were made on Sunday night. By Wednesday they were almost gone. Maybe Sunday will be baking day for the three of us each week. Time to connect with the Czech roots.


No comments: