Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen

I don't normally put much out here on cooking, being the single person who's slightly on the lazy side when flying solo in the kitchen. But since I've been in Germany, I ordered this cookbook, which is pure delight for someone who's interested in, or committed to, vegetarianism. I've made enough recipes now to know they actually turn out, taste good, and are straight-forward, even including prep tips and such. I've cooked for years, and yet sometimes things like the proper way to brown mushrooms, or slow cooking onions and garlic, or how to clean and chop leeks, were things that I appreciated being noted in this book and part of the reason the recipes turn out so good. He also gives options to create food vegan or vegetarian. And the ingredients are readily available, even here in Bavaria, Germany.

I'm a committed vegetarian, on my sixth official year. Prior to the officialness, I was mostly vegetarian anyway, and it wasn't a big departure from my normal train of thought to embrace the realm completely. As I've ventured further down this road, I've read many a quote which support my thoughts. Most recently:

"Once I would have ordered bacon or sausage for this meal, but not lately. The more I had come to believe in the indestructibility of life, the less I wanted to be a part of even illusory killings. If one pig in a million might have a chance for a contemplative lifetime instead of being skrockled up for my breakfast, it was worth swearing off meat. Hot lemon pie, any day." - Richard Bach (not that I agree with lemon pie for breakfast...)


It's not my nature to force my ideas onto other people. I choose to quietly follow my values for the most part, influencing by example, rather than discussion. Choosing vegetarianism initially involved intense justification for my choices, not for the faint of heart. But in the last few years, I've noticed the acceptance from my family for my choices, and positive changes in their views and their own food choices. I do believe in my heart that not eating animals is the kindest way to life and that's really how I approach my life here on this earth.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Vegetarian-Kitchen-Peter-Berley/dp/0060392959 Average rating: 5/5 stars

No comments: