Monday, March 31, 2008

Two Quotes from "A New Earth"

I've been reading "A New Earth" by Ekhart Tolle, which is the second book of his I've read. A few years ago, my good friend Laura Prisbe recommended "The Power of Now," which seemed to be particularly applicable while we were travelling through India. It was a life-changing read and helped me to source an inner calm. I saw that he had a new book out and wasn't too keen to read it since I'd found so much value in "The Power of Now" that I figured either his new book would be a repeat of the same ideas or I'd be disappointed that it wasn't as good. I've found neither is true. I'd highly recommend this read if you're looking to question your perspective on life. Don't be scared off that it's too deep or new-agey- he addresses our perspective on life/emotions/spirituality in the context of all religions.

A couple of lines that really resonated with me:

"Only if you resist what happens are you at the mercy of what happens, and the world will determine your happiness and unhappiness." p.200

"The joy of being, which is the only true happiness, cannot come to you through any form, possession, achievement, person, or event - through anything that happens. That joy cannot come to you - ever. It emanates from the formless dimension within you, from consciousness itself and that is one with who you are." p.214

"Behind the sometimes seemingly random or even chaotic succession of events in our lives as well as in the world lies concealed the unfolding of a higher order and purpose." Explaining the Zen saying, "The snow falls, each flake in its appropriate place." p.194

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so bummed I posted a message last night and my laptop crashed and the message never got here. I requested the books from my local library which my property taxes support: "A New Earth" I am #502 on the list with 98 reservable copies. For "The Power of Now" I am 94 for 6 copies. If you speak to the author assure him he is popular! We received 6-8 inches of snow in Bloomington Mn yesterday and tomorrow it is to be 50 degrees - Spring in the Midwest - Oh Joy!
love, auntie verdle