Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Native Americans in New Zealand?

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to get out of work early. Which meant that I finally had time to wash all the clothes I'd stockpiled on the floor at the foot of my bed for the last 5 weeks (yes, I brought lots of underwear). After 5 loads of laundry (equivalent to about 3 US loads), I started working on my tax documents, which proved to be a bit difficult since some of the receipts I need are in my file box at Carrie's house in Portland. I was getting pretty engrossed in my progress though (I secretly enjoy doing my taxes) when I noticed that it was already 7:12PM. I had penciled in "Native American Healer- UPF Peace Concert" into my planner for the night and it started at 7:30PM. I didn't really feel like going, but I rushed out the door and up the hill to the Parnell Community Center anyway.

I got there and paid my $5 to enter, not knowing what I'd gotten myself into. I saw a few empty chairs and headed for them. Everyone was introducing themselves to their neighbors as directed by the lady in the front of the room. The guy behind me (who was in a wheelchair) introduced himself, his mother and friend Rina, then followed up with, "I'm available!" Quite funny.

After an explanation of United Peace Federation, we were introduced to Reuben and Gil Silverbird, a Native American father and son who travel for UPF spreading the message of peace through words and music.

From Reuben (the dad) we heard:
"I believe we will not have peace in the world until we have equality between women and men."
"There is one word that is the root of all the problems today: Greed."
"I believe every time a leader says, 'terrorist,' a terrorist is born. I believe every time a leader says 'peacemaker,' a peacemaker is born."
"I don't want to get political, but I hope Barack Obama wins."

The son, Gil, said:
"Do I need anything? No. Do I need the air to breath? No, it's right here."

They sang songs of different tribes and had us sing along and echo them. Then played wooden flutes while we closed our eyes and let our minds drift. (I went to the river and the woods and my family.) The son played piano with such talent- some of his own compositions first, then "Morning has Broken" and finally the best part of the night, "Imagine". The room was filled with people from age 5 to 90, Native New Zealand Maori, Indian, Canadian, Chinese- all walks of life- singing this song together, I think just as John Lennon would have imagined it.

No comments: