Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I am not a foodie.

Recently, I read Grass Fed Up in the NYT, lamenting the proliferation of foodies, and associated irritations. I thought, finally someone has spoken the truth!

I tired of chasing the lastest restaurant craze about six years ago, after realising most restaurants were serving food which tasted worse than what I could prepare at home, and it was more expensive. Unconvinced that restaurants were they high road to eating, I embarked on cooking with various cookbooks, only to discover simple is better and often the newest cookbooks are really just reworkings of everything that's already been.

Excuse me if I don't get breathless with the fantasies of saffron tinged soup or truffle oil. I just want to eat something simple and good. And preferably mildly healthy. I don't want to be dragged all over town, waiting to try the lastest food craze only later to be followed by gastro excitement from some sort of high fat "delight".

I just don't care. I don't care if I eat frozen vegetables every night. And cereal when I feel like it. And apples every day. And now that it's been shown you can survive and even lose weight on junk food, I am not going to lose sleep about my diet.

This obsession with the latest and best food taste, beer, going out to the newest restaurant- it just doesn't seem that important to me.

No comments: