Monday, January 25, 2010

Home again, home again

Being back in Vilseck clinic today was a welcome homecoming. My little office, my little desk, my loving staff, my nice post. Sleeping in my own bed, under my covers, in my little house, above Ernst and Helga.

It's good to be away. It's good to be home.

I spent a good deal of time on the phone and email organising the logistics of my next TDY operation- two days a week covering a clinic in Katterbach, which is about an hour and a half away. I'll do a late start the first day, overnight at the hotel on post, then return home the second day. So it will be two shorter work days and one overnight. I spoke with my Katterbach assistant on the phone today and have a good feeling about it. It's not really what I was hired for, but I don't mind the change of pace and change of place. It keeps things interesting. It keeps me social.

My patients today were mostly sweet, ranging from retirees, dependents, new-to-Germany soldiers, and walk-in acutes. All races, multiple nationalities, all ages. I love the diversity in the population and the conversations I have with my patients. Of course there's a lot of eye talk, but there's also a lot surrounding life and adaption, backgrounds, and experiences. I find interesting stories every day.

Some say the army is a giant welfare system, and I guess in a way, it is. But then I guess you could say all employers, all countries are giant welfare systems. We are really all here taking care of each other in a way. And I think that is good.

No comments: