Sunday, October 19, 2008

The LAST week.

It's a sunshine-filled day here in New Zealand, as I round out my last week supervising students in the clinic. I've got mixed feelings about the year coming to a close. I love the students more than I ever would've thought. Learning about them as people, discussing optometry and life philosophy, laughing until we get "sshhhed" in the clinic are the highlights of my days. I hope I've contributed to their clinical thinking and self-confidence. I figure that's what I'm best at uncovering in people.

My mom is here and we've been busy, wandering the streets of Auckland on foot mostly, taking in Diwali festival (Indian New Years) yesterday and artists' and farmers' markets on Saturday. She's become confident in the car on the wrong side of the road, tooling around town.

With less than two weeks to my first marathon, I'm still on track. I managed a 14.5 mile jog on Sunday afternoon along the waterfront, mostly enjoyable with some dance-running intermixed with the regular old drag-yourself-along running.

I can't report any significant unfolding of events to point to the next path I'll take, but I'm feeling content with not knowing where I'll be. And I'll be happy with whatever arises.

No comments: