Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Kathy's solo travels

I sent my mom off yesterday, up north to the Bay of Islands, on my favorite mode of transportation, the intercity bus service. She had a lovely Maori driver for the first leg of the trip, then switched buses for the remainder of the ride up to Paihia. I received a text from her just before 6PM yesterday saying that she'd arrived and checked into her room, a hostel that I'd chosen off the internet, run by Jan and Bob, who my mom said were about 10 years younger than her.

She roomed with a 27 year old Israeli woman. The two of them have been hanging out. Even went to the karaoke bar last night and met some locals and shared whiskey. She sounded like she was having a ball. And will be back in Auckland tomorrow night.

Jim arrives Sunday morning- another of those lovely 5:15AM arrivals. We still have a few last minute travel arrangements to make for them, but it is all finally starting to shape up.

No comments: