Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Waitangi Day and thoughts

Holiday #2. What do you do with a Wednesday off? Well, here you go to your colleague's house for a BBQ. It was one of those hot summer days and Wanda (optometrist from Canada) had about 10 of us over for grilling and drinks. It was fantastically sunny, so we mostly sat indoors to avoid melting, but a lovely day all around.

I was looking at my last post, and the one before where I asked you guys to write what you would do if you knew you could not fail. Only two brave souls posted a response, but I was impressed with the idealism and thought, am I grateful enough for all that I have? Do I let people just be? What great thoughts.

Earlier toay, I was sitting in the coffee shop waiting for Nick and Ursula (I was hitching a ride) and thought about it all. The guy behind the counter treated me like an old friend and it was my first visit. There were little birds walking around on the ground inside and Huey Lewis and the News was overhead playing "The power of love." The windows were all open, no screens, sort of blurring the line between outside and inside.

I guess the beauty of Auckland is many things. If post a negative, it's really just a difference. It's kind of like living in a large beach town. Pretty laid back and with a few blocks walk from anywhere, you can probably see the ocean, which is quite remarkable.

The vibe is laid-back, open and kind- all things I'd like to take home with me.

No comments: