Thursday, February 21, 2008

My inaugural meeting of APC

What's APC, you ask? It's Auckland Photography Club, founded in 1883.

I decided since I was doing new things, may as well continue on the path. And if I am going on the path, I may as well try a new way. So I left my house and walked down the hill (instead of up, as I have always gone) and discovered that at the end of the block, there is ocean. I knew it was there, just didn't know it was that close. I meandered along the walking path, stopping a 60ish NZ couple to get directions. They were very kind and helpful and I was soon on my way through a cricket game and up a large hill whereby I arrived at my meeting about an hour early.

You who know me, know that I am NOT early. Especially not an hour. So I walked along and went up Mt Hobson (one of Auckland's volcanoes) and enjoyed some lovely city views.

I finally arrived at my meeting fifteen minutes early, which is acceptable to me. There were folks milling around and I chatted with several people. I was feeling a little nervous, but I kept talking anyway. One girl was new from Scotland. Others had been coming for years. In the end, there were about 40-50 people, with skill levels noted as: novice, advanced, and salon.

We all settled into a room and submitted our photos digitally or in print for a New Zealand professional photographer to evaluate, critisize and grade. I brought four picturess. It was really fun to hear what he had to say and see everyone else's pics. (I got highly commended on all four, which is pretty good; honors would be better.)

The assignment for the night was AV presentation. (I didn't know about it since I was new.) Eleven of the club members submitted presentations with music and their photos. It was just amazing to see what everyone created.

At the end of the night, one of the ladies, Sue, declared that they would take me home, knowing that I had walked and it was quite dark out. She also said I was on the way and they would give me a ride anytime I came if I still didn't have a car. So lovely. Sigh.

It was a fantastic experience. We meet every two weeks. Ya.

No comments: