Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Restoring a 1937 Sears & Roebuck kit home

I said, "I feel like I've been taking speed all day every day." 
He said, "It's called happiness."


This afternoon while hoeing the garden, I thought how good it was to be in the earth, in the air, smelling and feeling everything. It's no stretch to say that sitting in front of a screen in a dark windowless office all day is not natural. It's depressing at minimum. Unhealthy.

Later after covering myself in dirt, I hopped in the shower, rinsing off the evidence of my efforts, and I thought maybe you should decide how much you need to make each year and shoot for that. I decided I've made enough for the year (even if I have a little more work lined up.)

Since officially moving to Buxton, we've been crazy working on the house and the yard. I think both of us finally feeling that this is real. The next biggest project is to paint the outside of the house.


History: This house has been in Justin's family since his grandfather put it up in 1937. It was a kit house, out of the Sears & Roebuck catalog. Our house is the one on the lower right of the sheet above.
 
On the beach near our house
 Unidentified sea monster
 The living room after our rearrangement and cleaning
 Slightly messy middle room
 
 
 Newly installed laundry line
 Here is the work that lies ahead. No small feat. That's an old pie cooling window.
 Justin is working on a painting & holding the pre-efforted canvas.
The house has 22 windows. There were renters in it for years, so has been slowly getting redeemed over time. 

Our two rides
 The dog feeling happy about the recycling bin. 
(We have to load it in our car and drop it off. Not so convenient but feels pretty satisfying.)
 Trees=Love

No comments: