Wednesday, February 22, 2012

[Copying Picasso]

[I love his use of color. Gorgeous.]


I'm taking a community art class through Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art- "Drawn to Experiment," Instructor: Blade Wynne. It's an eight week course, and has included a variety of simple projects which jumpstart creativity. Invariably after my instructor explains what he has in mind for us for the evening, I think to myself, "I don't want to do that. I should just go home!" But then somehow it turns around and I have a good time after all. So far, I have nothing but good things to say for my Wednesday evenings spent amidst paper, pastels and new friends.

Tonight we were told to choose a photo of a painting out of a book and make an interpretation of it. I chose Picasso and drew it sideways (with myself sitting -- usually I prefer to stand). I can see now what was off in my drawing- but art is not about exact copy, it's about interpretation. Of course, learning and practice will improve things...

No comments: