Friday, March 18, 2011

A toast to taxes, life, and a new season!

It's spring in Germany. Drizzly skies, drooping hazily to the ground, wet and shiny. Morning light peeking through the blinds before the seven o'clock hour quietly wakes me without alarm. Thumping through the fields in my running shoes, to the beat of my breath and the music in my head. Waving to the neighbors, who've resumed their positions in the gardens. Sunshine and grey, intermittently returning. The white stuff is gone, for now.
 
Spring: time of the year when everything's in renewal, hope abounds, and life peaks up. I can't help but love this time of year best of all. Each time it returns, I feel a sigh of relief that I've made it through another season of darkness. The color of life brightens, and everything seems to make sense again.
 
I finished my taxes this morning, owing a small sum to the IRS. I almost feel I should pay more, as if it would make a difference to the budget problems, but I'll follow what the Turbotax tells me. Next year my return will be the simplest it's been since college. I've been actively paring down my life for four years now, and each responsibility shrugged feels like a weight released. Soon I will fly with lightness.

No comments: