Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Conversation excerpt: Discussing a job loss

Subject: Dude
------------------------

From: S
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM
To: J
 
Did you get an email from the NYT and Lincoln car saying essentially, "You are a NYT addict and we'd like to offer you free access for the remainder of 2011?" I did, and it worked. YAY. It totally made my day.
  
How was the rest of your night?

----------
From: J
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:23 PM
To: S


I read an actual real magazine made of paper.  I got a Newsweek sub from my NPR membership and I tried to cancel it but they keep sending it to me so I decided I should read it occasionally.  My Social Studies teacher during HS used to use Newsweek in class.  It's not as fluffy as I was thinking it would be.  The writing is actually pretty good.  
 
I am jealous of your free NYT sub.

----------
From: S
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:28 PM
To: J
 
I just was reading the New Yorker, and I used to really love that.
 
I think I am going to unemployed as of May 25th.

----------
From: J
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM
To: S


Why do you think that?  I like the NYorker too.

----------
From: S
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:32 PM
To: J
 
[forwarded letter of contract cancellation inserted here] 

Summary: This subject has been discussed at length and it appears that this is a final decision. Please consider this as notice of the end of your employment... as of 25 May 2011.

  
----------
From: S
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:32 PM
To: J


I just got it 17 min ago.

----------
From: S
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM
To: J


I am having a mild panic attack.

----------
From: J
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:34 PM
To: S


Ummm.  That's big news.  Let it sit for a bit. 

----------
From: S
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM
To: J

I'll be fine. I'm already adapting...

----------
From: J
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:55 PM
To: S

At least that spares you from having to make that particular hard choice.

----------
From: S
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 3:10 PM
To: J

No, they are trying to retain us in a different way. I just have to see how this plays out. F!

----------
From: J
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 3:55 PM
To: S

Sounds more complicated than it already was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds more laid back than it should be.