Monday, March 11, 2013

The Good Life in Portland


I don't have much to say these days. I've been busy wandering the familiar PDX roads. Meeting up with friends. Enjoying life. Happy to be back from Iceland in a place with color, warmth and the absence of wind.

Justin flew in last Monday night at 8PM and we've been treated to quite a lot of mild weather. So we spent a day on the bikes and another wandering downtown and up to Council Crest - the highest point in the city limits of Portland. Carrie and Justin headed downtown on Saturday while I worked. (I was a bit jealous but I had to squash my emotions- I don't work enough to complain really.)

I read something the other day, about how it is enough to just live. You don't need to be somebody or important or anything. Just live and enjoy life. I like that. I am trying to hold that close to my heart.

Today I woke up and realised I don't work until Tuesday. What a strange life to have so much time off and to be in the company of all things good. Justin, Carrie & Oatie, Portland. It's good to go to work and know they are here too when I get home.

We're all in Carrie's house, and I was very worried about how things would go for various reasons. But so far it's been sort of a little blessing and we're all working together. I think Oatie feels that he's died and gone to heaven, with THREE people to love him all the time. He's taken to Justin as a new man friend and even managed to crawl in his jacket.

Justin and I are working on some projects. Reading a little Buddhist philosophy and all trying to live day by day without worrying too much about the past or the future. This is easier said than done.

I can't stop thinking about my cousin Kelly's daughter Kayleen, who is nine and fighting leukemia. I don't know how they are all feeling, but the only thing I can figure is to try to enjoy each day as it comes. If you have a prayer in your heart, say it for Kayleen, that by some miracle she is the 10% of those who survive.

My sister Molly is also about to have her third child, and she is in my thoughts often. I always worry that last month of the pregnancy until everything is okay and done.

I am feeling pretty thankful these days for the good life I am having. I've been fortunate to have work in this delightful city, a generous sister who's shared her nice roof over my head, and a boyfriend who flew across the country to make it work. I'm just going to go with it and enjoy myself.


[GOINGS ON ABOUT TOWN]
 I was out biking with my friend Hrag and we pedaled over this bridge
 St John's Bridge
 Ristretto Roasters
Old fashioned and modern lighting 
 Mississippi Pizza- best in town

 I always love visiting the train station
 Charlie has adapted to the tea & coffee lifestyle
 Stumptown roasters


No comments: