Sunday, February 10, 2013

Enjoying life- bicycling about Portland

"For aren't you and I gods? Let all of life be an unfettered howl. Release life's rapture. Everything is blooming. Everything is flying. Everything is screaming. Laughter. Running."    - Vladimir Nabokov


From Rob Breszny:
The bumper sticker I saw said, "Having abandoned my search for the truth, I'm now looking for a good fantasy." Though it's meant to be sarcastic, it's a useful piece of advice.

Consider this hypothesis: The truth is so complicated and ever-shifting that it's impossible to pin down. Why try to understand the nature of reality when it's more productive and interesting to aggressively create the nature of reality?

Why be preoccupied with conjuring up concepts to approximate the structure of the universe when the point is that we change everything we observe merely by looking at it?

As another bumper sticker says, "Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself."
I came across these two pieces of thought tonight while reading.

Today was the Worst Day of the Year ride. It was not the worst day. In fact, it was partly sunny and dry and about fifty degrees. It was fun and interesting and nice, and really a good time. As in, a good experience. With two old friends. 

 [Hrag, me, Nate]

It's hard to know sometimes what life is about. Is it about learning? Loving? Doing everything? I've questioned this enough. Maybe it's about enjoying ourselves. Not over thinking. Not anxiety. Not trying to find the answers. Just living.

I've been having fun. Filled up with friends and enjoying life. I've been more alive than I've been in a long time since arriving back in Portland. I don't know what that means, but it feels good.

No comments: