Sunday, September 14, 2008

30KM - thought I might die, but obviously I'm writing this, so still here...

Yesterday was long run day (dread) and also mileage increase day (double dread), so I’d mapped out a plan online a few days ago. 18.79 miles (30.2km) covers a lot of ground in Auckland. I mentally prepared by sleeping in with dreams of flying (why can’t we do that in real life again?) then procrastinated at the coffee shop until starting my tour around 2:00. I thought I might die a couple times but mostly I was just having a good time thinking, not even really noticing that I was running. In times of desperation, I played the alphabet game in my head- name something starting with each letter of the alphabet - a band, a male celebrity, countries, etc... this can waste a fantastic amount of time. The last 30 minutes, I started talking to myself. Repeating “Rock-Star!” over and over can be quite motivating. I’m sure the people I passed would agree.

After the nice little jog, I had a ridiculously long shower (sorry environment), only getting out after I'd slicked up the floor so much with Origins Salt Scrub that it was a danger to my life to stay in any longer.

Anyway. I survived. And I feel really good about it.

I’m on the fence about everything else in life. I guess it’s good to have one goal to work toward. I can check the marathon thing off my list and then figure out the rest of my life. Right. I’m sure it will just all fall into place as soon as I cross the finish line. Hee hee…

Possibly this is the post-runner’s high causing delusions of grandeur along with other ailments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am smiling from ear to ear w/ the vision of you repeating "rock star" over and over :) :) ~ Shanta

Unknown said...

Hi Sara, I love reading your blog!

Good luck with the marathon!! I don't know if you're interested, but if you have a favorite charity, you can use the marathon to raise money for them really easily through this website http://fundraising.marathonguide.com
I have one going now for the Portland marathon.
http://fundraising.marathonguide.com/mollycardenal