Saturday, May 10, 2008

Nothing is permanent. Cherish what you have.

My uncle Jim (my mom's oldest brother) wasn't afraid to say what he thought, whether he was giving his opinion or telling you how much he loved you. There's not much he didn't dab his fingers into in his life. As I grew older and moved around the world, I became more and more amazed of his progressive ideas and broad interests for a man who spent most of his life in North Dakota. He was more than just an uncle to my sisters and me. He cared about us like we were his own daughters. More than once, he and Audrey took our whole family into their home with open arms while we transitioning to our life without my dad.


Last December, Jim and Audrey were at Carrie's house while I was living with her before I moved to New Zealand. In the first pic, Jim was giving Audrey a hard time about mittens, then the cute couple. That night, we all sat around the dining room table with coffees and fresh krumkake, chatting and laughing late until it was way past bedtime.

Wherever you are now Uncle Jim, I love you and you are missed.

He graced this earth from 1936-2008.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara,

Thanks for your loving tribute to Jim. -- Michelle

geekdave said...

Sara,

Sorry about your loss. :(

Dave@PDX.

Sara said...

Thank you guys. It's really strange being so far away when sad things happen your family. But everyone's in North Dakota together. I'm there in spirit. I spent today walking in the trees in Auckland's Domain park and watching the birds, ducks and chickens. Jim would've loved that.


Secondary: Can you tell me which Portland Dave you are? I'm not sure- I know quite a few. :)

geekdave said...

Lulu's Dave of course! :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Sara,

I have enjoyed your blog for several months now, and check it out from time to time. I was sorry when I logged in today (5-21-08) and read that Jim had passed. May God be with you and your family as you grieve.

I'm heading up to Fargo over Memorial Day to visit Julia, Jeff & Grace. Grace will be 3 in July, my goodness how time flies. I'm sure I'll get to do more than 1 story hour while I'm there, and I'll think of you. It was cool to read your references to Mr. Wetzel and Mr. Bjornson, and their love of reading to their students.

Take care. Be Happy.
Give our love to your Mom & sisters.

Barb Kemper