Saturday, October 1, 2011

Interviews across America

I'm back in Iowa, after a tour around the states: Portland, Chicago, Minneapolis, Southern Minnesota, New Orleans, Seattle, Tacoma... looking for jobs and visiting family and friends.

It feels good to be home. Resting while looking toward the fields. Nary a car, just a big broad sky. Riding bicycles along the bike paths through the countryside and campus. I haven't rested for a long time. This long stretch of busyness started back when I found out that my job was over while still in Germany, and has persisted until now. I'm hoping to have some time to relax finally.

In the last month, I've been to a few job interviews. One with an ophthalmologist who never washed his hands once in about twenty patients (including an intraocular injection) and told his patient that her diabetes was "from God". Another was an optical shoppe where they had no medical equipment on hand, saying they were mostly retail side, and basically referred everything disease-related out. I visited a run-down VA hospital, with greyed walls and patients devoid of happiness, and filled with windowless rooms containing run-down equipment. There were a couple places which were delightful: one who I only visited in hopes of creating contact for a future job, and another which was a small clinic with only one ophthalmologist and one optometrist on staff. Only time will tell where I go. I am patient.

No comments: